The K-6502 Manganese Kit was designed to accurately measure the levels of Manganese in water from 0-2 ppm. K-6502 uses the Periodate Method. CHEMetrics' tests employ the periodate chemistry that measures soluble manganese compounds but does not differentiate the various valence states. Results are expressed as ppm (mg/L) Mn. Permanganate (MnO4) develops approximately 25% more color with this reagent than other forms of manganese, causing a high bias. If the sample is known to contain manganese in the form of permanganate only, multiplying test results by 0.8 will improve the accuracy of the results.
Surface and ground waters rarely contain more than 1 mg/L of soluble or suspended manganese. Manganese can act as an oxidizing or a reducing agent depending on its valence state. Manganese is also used in the manufacture of batteries and as an alloying metal in the manufacture of steel and aluminum. The National Secondary Drinking Water Standard for manganese is 0.05 mg/L, as higher concentrations will impart a foul taste to water and discolor laundry and porcelain surfaces.
R-6502 Refill Package includes 30 tests and can be purchased separately.
- 30 Ampoules
- 25 mL Sample Cup
- Activator Solution
- Instruction Manual
How to use:
- Fill to the 15 mL mark in the sample cup with your water.
- Add 3 drops of Activator Solution and stir sample cup
- Snap the end of the ampoule in the water on the bottom/side of the 25 mL sample cup.
- Mix the contents of the ampoule by tipping back and forth a few times.
- Dry the vacu-vial and wait 1 minute for color development.
- Place ampoule, flat end first, into the comparator. Hold comparator up to light source and determine best color match.
Manganese Tech Sheet